Thursday 23 May 2013

Activity 3.1: Theories of active learning


Activity: Write a short discussion piece on how you would relate it to
  • how you learn;
  • your current practice;
  • the design of Technology Enhanced Learning activities

Primarily I learn by doing and reflecting on what I am doing and have done.

My professional background is Nursing, RNLD (UK);  RN (NZ), so I am informed and influenced by nursing theorists as well as educational theorists. Where I am engaging with or delivering TEL, I am always mindful of the learning styles and preferences of others.

My current practice I move through Kolb's cycle,
  • Initially undertaking the activity (spontaneous or planned) (DO); 
  • I observe the impact my activity has on others, the environment, the technology and myself (Observe); 
  • I consciously think and reflect in and on the activity,what is happening?  is the activity progressing as intended, anticipated, desired? (Think) I overlap here with reflecting in and on practice and often draw on the work of Professor Chris Johns [See: Johns, C (1995). Framing learning through reflection within Carper's fundamental ways of knowing in nursing. Journal of advanced nursing 22 (2): 226–34. doi: 10.1046/j.1365-2648.1995.22020226.x. ]
  • Having considered my actions and potential outcomes I then plan my next action (Plan) and identify how I will determine its success. 

As a registered nurse I am accountable for my actions and omissions and must be able to justify my decisions, this extends into my academic professional life too.  I am shaped by my professional role identity and professional reputation. I acknowledge applying the same scrutiny to my adoption and use of technology in my own learning and acknowledge my 'biases' when I am assisting others with exploring and undertaking TEL.

When designing TEL activities I begin by asking the learner to identify their outcomes (plan) to become aware of what they want and need to do to meet their personal learning goals and map this against my intended learning goals for the TEL activity.
I include technologies and activities which provide the learner with the opportunity to actively participate and or create (do) e.g. produce an artefact, video, audio, text, image, discussion etc;
 offer encouragement to observe their activities or outcomes and the impact this has on others, environment etc e.g. reflective discussions, writing individual diary, journal blog etc;
 provide time and opportunity to think about the learning, this might be through personal reflective journals, asynchronous group discussions or blogs or face to face in person or through technology i.e. skype;
 and develop plan and revisit and refine the initial plan/ personal learning goals, as the learner engages with their learning I encourage them to plan.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Inclusive Webinar

"Inclusive Webinar Design and Delivery" #altc A collection of links to come back to ..... https://www.assertion-evidence.com/ h...