Thursday 16 May 2013

Understanding Learners' Needs. 2.2 pt 1

Activity 2.2: Researching themes in learner needs


Firstly I will consider implications of digital literacy.

Here in New Zealand we have a concept 'Ako' this means both to teach and to learn. It also encompasses reciprocal learning relationships and values learning from each other, so social and collaborative literacies are very important.

Digital literacy

Image of my digital learner profile
Digital learner profile- Results
My areas for development
Learner Networker Your Score = 5
You may not be comfortable collaborating and sharing ideas online – perhaps you prefer to do this face to face or you like your social networks to be kept separate from your college work. You may not feel confident that what you know is worth sharing.
Digital Sceptic Your Score = 4
If you have a low score in this area you are confident and enthusiastic user of digital technology. However, you may need to reflect more deeply on why you use the tools and services you do.

For those who 'really know me' there are no surprises there then ;-)

21st Century Literacies (Rheingold, 2009) 45 minute video of talk in London http://blip.tv/howardrheingold/21st-century-literacies-2393998

Howard is a really engaging speaker, always enjoy his presentations. I appreciate his reflections on the development of technology as a participant observer.

Being a discerning user, developing critical appraisal skills or Crap Detection 101: How to tell accurate information from inaccurate information, misinformation, and disinformation. (Howard Rheingold).

I especially enjoyed the observation of classroom behaviour and the A+ student, many of my colleagues express concern about students using technology in their classrooms with a fear that students are not paying attention. The skill of multitasking is really key in this situation. I think his 'attention' activity is great. 
Tutor/ students adding notes on the wiki during class so the others can contribute after class sounds like a neat approach.

Aaargh, (17.45) now Howard draws our attention to the 'excruciatingly painful boring blogs and twitter accounts' out there! (Note to self, I must try and keep mine interesting and useful and participate in a valuable way). 

Online reputation (31:00), thanks Howard, music to my ears. one of the reasons why my Learner Network' score is so low and my desire to keep my social (online profile) separate from my professional (online profile) is part of my desire to protect and nurture my online reputation.

The joy of a 'flexible' environment.

Think points!

Master 'Search credibility' (aka Crap detection).
Queue or flow!  Act as a Triage nurse! sample the flow.
Keep your eye not just on the technologies but on the literacies.
Five competences/ literacies identified by Howard Rheingold (2009).
Be aware of your online reputation.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Inclusive Webinar

"Inclusive Webinar Design and Delivery" #altc A collection of links to come back to ..... https://www.assertion-evidence.com/ h...