Thursday 23 May 2013

Activity 3.2: Active play

Game-based learning has grown as a form of TEL.

  1. What do you think you could learn playing this game?
  2. What (if anything) did you find engaging?
  3. What (if anything) did you find demotivational?


  1. Could learn observational skills working against the clock, mouse dexterity.
  2. The story was intriguing, being set challenges and completing them in a given time frame.
  3. The music was awful, I had to turn it off, the scree was difficult to resize in order to view in a size large enough for me to see the items. 
I used to enjoy the Lara Croft Tomb raider games on XBox when they first came out, I did the observation and thinking bit and my friend controlled the joy-pad. 

Not to be defeated I then tried.


I managed to get to level 4 and then thought, why am I doing this? The information about the puzzle and hints were puzzles in themselves. If this were a course with those completion/success rates it would soon be axed.
  1. Resilience, observation skills, not really sure as I didn't really
  2. umm
  3. The gambling adverts, Frustration out-weights the potential pleasure and feel good factor in solving the puzzle. My life is too short for this one.

Role play: Runescape


  1. hand eye coordination, spacial orientation, following instructions, 
  2. I have heard about Runescape and it is visually appealing and you can create the story and explore the virtual realm.
  3. As a free game you have to subscribe :-(  I didn't want to create an account so I stopped there. Combat games don't really appeal to me so that would also be a demotivator.

  1. Follow instructions, hand eye coordination, turn taking, 
  2. I quite liked the idea of journeying around the wild west, the graphics were al-right  the screen layout was logical, the prompts and instructions really helpful.
  3. Once again the sounds, event muted were irritating. 

I do however value Simulation software, this is especially valuable in nursing where we need to replicate clinical scenarios for the students to rehearse and practise their response safely and educational games to develop knowledge and skills in a subject.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Inclusive Webinar

"Inclusive Webinar Design and Delivery" #altc A collection of links to come back to ..... https://www.assertion-evidence.com/ h...